Wednesday, October 15, 2008

The weather turns... And so does the dog.

Fall is here. Oh, these last few days have been indian summer, but even so, Autumn is in the air.

With the crisper air, the shorter days, the turning leaves, Suka has turned as well. Her personality continues to unfold, and she's much more active, engaged, and inquisitive. Still, she remains a sweet, well-behaved dog, but she's also prone to fits of wrestling, and has taken to pestering for walks, pestering for play, and even pestering the cats. The cats, needless to say, don't speak 'dog,' and are most confused by Suka's attempts to goad them into a romp.

Feline confusion doesn't stop Suka, though - Her ears pricked up and forward, she bounces at the cats, eyes bright with potential mischief, only to be rebuffed by indifference, confusion, or (in Max's case) a most impressive display of curmudgeonry. Curmudgeonry? Is that a word? Well, I guess it is now. Max is slowly learning to tollerate this bounding oaf in his kindgdom, but is not willing to put up with shenanigans of any sort!

Well, if the cats are no fun, she can count on me for a bit of "squeaky chase." She's got a little squeaky donkey, which is her favored toy. She's got a squeaky elephant, too, but that one doesn't taste as good to her, for some reason. ;-) She'll chew her donkey, drag it around the house, and will nail it in mid flight with unerring accuracy. Getting it back for a second toss is a bit of a challenge, but once it's back in my hands, well, she's locked and loaded for another catastrophic mid-air kill. Ziiip! Goes the flying donkey! Clack! Go the jaws of doom, and the poor donkey meets its grim end once again. As the weather cools, Suka's more and more inclined to punish the poor, long-suffering quadruped. Or maybe she's just fed-up with 'political season'? Naaaah.

Suka's walks are growing longer, too, as the air chills, and her coat is filling back in. By Alaskan standards, this is a heatwave, but by local standards, well, it's time to grow the coat back in. She doesn't tire so fast, and doesn't wind up sucking up near as much water as previously, either. I can hardly wait until a proper chill - I bet I can have her chasing that poor donkey for hours!

6 comments:

AKDD said...

It's very heartwarming - and quite comforting - how much you love this dog. Thanks for giving her a good place to land, where she is loved and appreciated and well cared-for.

MaskedMan said...

My pleasure - really, it is. She's a sweetheart and a joy. I've used this phrase too often, perhaps, but she's fallen into place like a missing puzzle piece. As much as we love her, Suka loves us right back.

Kate's Journey said...

I know Suka! I do believe I was riding shot gun in the Presidential Procession that transported her to an outbound Air Force One Continental flight :). I am so happy she is with a loving family. She and I only passed a few words between us, but she was definitely a sweatheart.

MaskedMan said...

Ah!
So, does that make you the Head of the Protection Detail, or are you more like a Chief of Staff?

I must say, y'all did a FINE job of getting her on her way - She arrived in good spirits, excellent condition, and immediately assumed her rightful place (co-pilot and navigator of anything I'm driving). That little girl knows how to travel, and loves it, too.

Kate's Journey said...

Yes, I was the one wearing dark sunglasses in the protection detail...Suka's Secret Service. :)

MaskedMan said...

Oooh, I like that mental image - I get visions of Suka in a limo, surrounded by sunglass-wearing agents, down a parade route thronged by supporters. ;)

After this weekend's Halloween parade, I don't doubt she could totally pull it off, too!