Thursday, March 12, 2009

Work/Life Balance. What's that..?

Work is eating my life again... *sigh*

There's an Iditarod to follow and comentate... Which isn't happening for me.
There are a bunch of collecge kids down at The Farm, doing good works and eating donated meals (including some from my family)... and I'm not able to take the time off to help out.
There are photos in my camera to post and discuss... And they'll be there a bit longer.

See, I do Clinical Submissions work for a large Pharma, and though they make a LOT of noise about Work/Life Balance, ultimately we are slaves to the submission work. Timelines are inflexible, and if some internal Medical Writers can't get their heads out of their butts and meet *their* deadlines, well, *I* have to somehow manage to collapse my timelines so the final date is met. If the work isn't done, the agency won't care if I was able to get a little time off - Our user fee will still be forfieted. If the work isn't done, the agency won't cut slack on statuitory timelines so I can lower my blood pressure. If my Study Delivery Team is clueless and befuddled, well, the agency doesn't care. Nor should they. But I will still have to find the time anyway, even if it comes out of my hide.

Bitter..? A little. I'm missing things I love. I love my job too, but not right now.

Ah, well. Suka will still be over-the-moon to see me come home. That helps a lot. :-)

7 comments:

Colleen said...

Ugh! That sounds terrible! You love your job, huh? And you call AKDD a saint.

Holly said...

I think, from the sounds of it, that you DO love your job but like many high pressure loving, bring it on people you too have your limits and are reaching the end of your rope.

Newest mantra for me "this too shall pass" "this too shall pass"

MaskedMan said...

"...high pressure loving, bring it on people..."

Guilty as charged.
I do work better under pressure - there needs to be a certain minimum amount of pressure for me to rise to my best. Too little pressure, and I slack off. Too much pressure (like now) and I suffer. I have a pretty large surge buffer, above and beyond optimum levels, but that will only go so far before I start to fail. Problem being, because my performance rises as pressure mounts, people have a hard time guaging my limit - Myself included - until it's been exceeded by a fair margin, and then I need downtime to recover. The pressure never stays at a sustainable level; always too much or too little.

Right now, I need downtime, and that is one thing that *won't* be coming soon... So I'm burning the candle at both ends and the middle too.

Colleen, I *do* love my job - It's a fantastic job for me; I get to measurably contribute to the health and well-being of literally millions of people. If I wasn't here to do my job, there wouldn't be enough people in the group to handle the load. What we do makes it possible for our science to be turned into approved medicines that save (or at least extend) lives, bolster sanity, reduce pain and debility, and more. I see ALL the reports, the good, the bad, and the ugly; by far, 'the good' is the biggest part of what I see. I see exciting things that will change the lives of people I know, and of total strangers; things that will change whole pargdimes of medical treatment for a number of killer or debilitating diseases. It's a GOOD feeling - I look forward to going to work every day! My communication and technical skills are stand-out assets to the group, and make an obviously measurable impact on our group (and company's) success.

But it comes at a cost... Stress. Missing out on the things I love. Long hours. Frustration.
On the whole, the balance is strongly positive, but at times, I just need to be able to step back and take a breath - I'd planned on spending this week doing just that. But, nope. Not gonna happen.

The Wades said...

MaskedMan, I'm the same. I thrive on just enough pressure to get me going, but then I need it to ease off a bit.

Good luck my friend. One of my favorite sayings:

I'm looking forward to looking back on all of this!

I always tell my husband, while I'm in the thick of my misery, to tell me the day after it is all over that it's over. Does that make sense? I don't know how well I expressed myself there. Heck, I'm sure you have better things to do than read this rambling comment. Until next time...

The Wades said...

Oh, and can't wait to see the pictures in your camera. I'm a sucker for pictures. :)

MaskedMan said...

Gods.

Whatta crappy day.
I am indeed looking forward to seeing this crap in the rear-view mirror.

Life With Dogs said...

I work in a pressure cooker, and thrive on it as well. Nothing like it!