Saturday, February 28, 2009

Another fine day at The Farm

Finally broke a Saturday loose, and toddled myself off to The Farm today...

MABCR lies partway down the DelMarVa peninsula, not far from the Chesapeake Bay. To get there, I drive into Lower Delaware (basically anything south of the Canal counts as Lower DE), and then into Maryland.

Rural Kent County, MD


Today, I was greeted by a deputation at the gate - I don't normally rate such, but I guess the dogs were bored. These were some of the resident pack, and one of our alumni - Nick, a rescue from a hording situation. Couldn't guess that's how he came our way, now! He's a well-behaved, neat, clean, and reasonably mannerly guy. I'm quite taken with him.


The Welcome Wagon


The Farm itself is charming, in a typical farm kind of way... It's practical, but with surprising touches, like the fancywork on and in the house. No one needs, say, cute chimneys, but it has them anyway!


Victory Farm

Mind you, this is not a large farm, and its major crop is rescued Border Collies, trained Border Collies, and trained Handlers. But it does have some livestock - Sheep for the dogs practice on, and to provide some limited fibre. Some goats, a couple cattle, a llama, a horse, and recently added, a pair of refugee miniature horses. Plus cats. And chickens. And... Oh, yeah, dogs. Musn't forget about those!



Sheep! And More Sheep. And goats. And Mini-horses in the distance!


Anyway, a large part of what I was down at The Farm to do today was to unload and stow a food donation. Once again, there was a strange assortment of donated items - Rabbit food, strange dog toys, training goop for race horses, and so on. The trailer had been largely unloaded over the last few weeks, but with me there, it could be finished up and the trailer made ready for, well, transporting livestock. Go figure - Using the trailer for it's intended purpose? Heresy!

Mostly empty...

Even before the trailer was fully empty, I had a fairly intimidating Wall o'Food built in the feed shed:



The Wall o'Food. Which will not last long...

Anyway, as I've said before, we get some fairly silly things. Lest anyone think it's not possible to go too far in pampering one's pets, I present...

The TurDuckEn Feast! In New! Smaller Size!

Be afraid. Be very afraid!

Oh, and in case anyone was wondering... I got a replacement camera for my birthday. Yay!

Now... If only could figure out why Blogger is such a moron about images and formatting. I hate WYSIAWYG editors.

5 comments:

Colleen said...

Glad to have you back! And congrats on your replacement camera!

Holly said...

giggle. Welcome back, I thought perhaps you fell off the face of the earth or that you had been hauled off for another ORSE. J/K, I know you don't do that anymore but it would fit if you suddenly disappeared!

AKDD said...

Yay photos!!!!

Good B-day present for you. I got a replacement digital for Xmas (having fatally dropped my old one. Ooops.) Nice to have photodocumentary abilities back, isn't it? Now Dragon won't have to kick your a$$ for not taking pictures of your adventures! :-D

MaskedMan said...

Hah!

I'm not scared of Dragon... Oh, wait... Maybe I am. :-)

No, no ORSE, though, to be honest, I think I might have welcomed one, instead. Clinical Publishing (what I do) for submission to the FDA can get a bit ugly at times.

Hej, Colleen! It's nothing too fancy, but it'll do the job nicely... And frankly, photos *do* make the story work better, don't they?

The Wades said...

Yea--a camera! I just love pictures. I'm glad to see new posts here. Happy reading for me. :)

And yes, that food was a little much.