Saturday, October 10, 2009

Why I love my dogs (and cats)

Not the only reason, mind you. Not even remotely. But still a big one; they keep me sane.

It's Saturday evening. I'm at work. Probably until midnight. I'll be at work tomorrow, too. I should be working this very instant, as a matter of fact, but my eyes have gone cross-ways, and I can't see clearly to do what I need to do. So I'll post here, and get a soda, and visit the head, and then stick my shoulder back to the wheel.

I've Quality-Control checked nearly ten thousand pages of clinical data today - I've another nearly seven thousand to go before I'm done today. Tomorrow will be the same, I'm sure. Nor am I alone - The boss is in, and so are many of my cow-orkers. By the time I'm done, my brain will be fried.

But when I get home, the dogs will not care. Suka will be flying about shoulder high, as she always does when I come home - no matter how long I've been gone. Dakota will wheel and prance and moan with delight, as she always does. They will make demands - Attention, a trip to the back yard, more attention. But these demands never ease, never increase - These are demands of love and they are constant. The document awaiting my attention does not love me, nor do I love it. When I get home, the dogs will make their demands, and will force me to push this never-to-be-sufficiently damned document out of my head. I will be home, and work will be sent back to where it belongs, out of mind until I actually need to face it again. Just me, and the dogs. No time, no plans, no meetings; just us doing what needs to be done in the time it takes to do it. Like no one else, Suka and Dakota can take me out of my head and pull me into the now.

Max and Tuxedo, too, will make their presence felt. Not quite as in-your-face as the girls, but every bit as insistent and relentless in their own rights. Max will creak his way to where I sit, and painfully climb to his throne of power (that being wherever he choses to plant his massive, muscular butt), and casually demand his due - a back scratch. He'll reward loyal rendition of his due with purrs and the random head-butt, and maybe a lick or two. Attending to his imperial demands is a kind of command performance zen - you must sit, and you must scritch, and you must do it until His Imperial Majesty is satisfied you've done it properly, else... The PAW! IOW, there's no end in sight until you've reached the end. Tux is less blunt, but every bit as pushy in his way. He will climb on my shoulder and purr and poke his claws into my beard, try to steal anything I have that is even remotely edible, and will sit or strop his back on anything I'm holding. At least, until I literally knock him on his side and give him a quick and vigorous whole-body rub.

But as demanding as the cats are, they too take me out of my day, and bring me mentally home, to rejoin my body already there present.

Dogs alone might not be enough. Cats alone, certainly not enough. But together, they consipire to return me to my refuge of relaxation and recuperation. Whilst they are there, work may not trouble me - I'm too busy taking care of the immediate, and being loved. I bet this document wishes it had pets. :-p

9 comments:

Holly said...

"But as demanding as the cats are, they too take me out of my day, and bring me mentally home,"

ugggg! Please please don't say this. There is this little kitten at the barn. He is IN LOVE with Courtney and she with him. She shows up, he *runs* to her and they have this snugglefest. He feel asleep in her lap yesterday. He follows her around, even into the indoor and waits on a chair while she rides. He has helped himself to her car, he is a shoulder cat. He is savvy enough not to get TO much underfoot to be a nuisance but still be close.

can you see where this is heading?

I do not need another being who eats, spits up, poops, or needs bedding.

did I mention the crooked tail? His father is a bob and little Hammy Cat has 2 crooks in a tail...he is simply endearing. His mother is my all time favorite cat, she is gracious, patient, an outstanding mother to both her babies as well as any fosters brought to her.

do.not.want.another.animal.

but I'm going to get one I'm sure.

MaskedMan said...

It's too late already. The hook is set...

Holly said...

"hook set"

is that the annoyingalmostpainful thing jerking on my heart?

Holly said...

I'm sunk.

I fought this till a man who lives next door told me about shooting cats that showed up on his property.

Can't be having that for The Kitten. I told Court he had to get flea protection and wormed before he could come home AND she had to provide that, neutering and all supplies.

it will buy me a tiny bit of time.

MaskedMan said...

Sensible stand.

Buy you're only staving off the inevitable. :-p

Melissa said...

Such a beautiful thought, and SO very true. My husband and I have two dogs and two cats (IN the house...we have more animals outside) and the day just doesn't seem complete until I've had some personal time with each of them. They have such healing powers just being in their presence.

MaskedMan said...

Before Suka came to live with us (Thank you again, Sis!), my mother could tell, when she called me, if I was down at the The Farm - working with the dogs down there, and doing what was needful, took me out of my head and brought me back to humanity. Now, she can't tell if I'm at The Farm, or at home... Either place, I'm sane. Dogs (and pets in general) are good medicine.

Laughing Orca Ranch said...

Well said and very true. I don't really know why I waited over 10 years to finally open my heart again to another dog after my sweet Charity passed away.

But now my heart is full of canine love again. The generous devotion and love of my dog astounds me every day. People tell me my dog is lucky to live with me, but I feel that I'm the lucky one. I'm truly not worthy.

~Lisa

word verification: surfed

I surfed my way over to your blog tonight :)

MaskedMan said...

Sorry, Lisa - For some reason Blogger thought your comment needed moderation. ??? I didn't see it until just now.

Agree, that we're lucky to share our lifes with these wonderful animals. Life would be so much more poor, in the kinds of things that really matter, without them.