Sunday, July 25, 2010

Another day at the vets...

There's a wave of Bordetella (One of the agents responsible for Kennel Cough) working through the kennels in the area... Normally, I wouldn't much worry, as my dogs don't get that much chance to mingle, and I've never had to kennel them. But the A/C is straining in the heat and humidity (Well over 30 days in excess of 90deg(f), with high humidity, and it's not yet August!). If it were to ever fall over, the house would quickly become a life-threatening environment for dogs (and cats). Tuxedo is easy - He's a friendly booger, and there are lots family and friends whom would put up with him for a few days. The girls, OTOH... They're a bit more of a challenge. I started checking for kennels with space and flexibility to take short-notice drops-in. Oh, and made sure they had A/C!

Of course, with bordetella on the loose, can't take any chances, so a quick call to check - Sure enough, they're due for their updates.

*sigh*
Off to the vet.
Again.

Just me with the girls... Everyone else were at my mother's place. So, a bit of management, but able to get them in, and no drama until I'd actually settled them in the waiting room. Dakota made friends with an elderly man awaiting his wife and their dog, calmly resting her head in his lap and accepting his attention. Suka was her usual stress-puppy snoopy self, trying to get her nose into every corner and nook. Everything more-or-less under control.

A random samaratin wanders in with a dog to get it chip-checked. Seems he's plucked it out of the middle of a very high-traffic road, and wants to find if it's ID'd. It's a nice, mannerly older pibble-mutt, with a very good collar. And no damn tags. What The Hell, people?! Clearly, this isn't just a random stray - It's a well-cared-for (though slighty portly), neutered older dog wearing an expensive, high-quality collar, not a fighting dog, nor an unwanted pup. Someone took care of this dog. Why doesn't he have some kind of tag? MAYBE the finder will hold onto the dog. Clearly he loves dogs, but he already has two. MAYBE he'll post flyers. MAYBE someone will see them, and collect their dog. Or, more likely, this dog will end up in the county shelter, and there MAYBE its owner(s) will find him in time. Or maybe not.

This dog is in peril - Needlessly. A simple tag with basic info costs maybe ten bucks. Or less. Boomerang Tags (http://www.boomerangtags.com/) charges US$9.20 for a basic stainless steel tag that has enough space for all the key info. It's cheap insurance. Someone out there is missing their dog, and may never see him again. All for the lack of a simple metal disc.

Oh, and the mandatory (and not costly) county dog liscense (and tag) was also not present. That also would've solved the 'lost' issue. Why does somone risk having their dog lost to them forever for the lack of an inexpensive hunk of steel?

Grrr.

Anyway, got the needles in the dogs - They were both sweetness personified during the whole business, though Suka would've happily have been anywhere else. Dakota was just calm and dignified, as she usually is at the vet. Neither one even thought about snarking at the other or at the tech, nor did they tangle leads or otherwise act up.

As I was checking out, a casualty rolled in - A woman came in, in tears, and the techs ran out with a stretcher, though it was already too late. An elderly yellow lab in convulsions, died en-route. I fled the scene with my dogs, glad they were alive, healthy, and protected in every way I can manage, including a backup plan if the heatwave(s) continues and my A/C falls over.

One day, I will be that devestated person with the elderly dog - It's inevitable. But I won't be in mourning for the lack of vaccinations or for the lack of an inexpensive hunk of steel.

4 comments:

Holly said...

My dogs are chipped, but they do not often wear collars. They also have lifetime tags, except that they are tags. So I am guilty as charged also. Though someone could call me if they found the dog(s), if they got away from me somewhere.

MaskedMan said...

The fact that you've gone the extra step (and cost) absolves you - Your dogs would've been identified and traced. A collar tag would speed that, of course, but you're still innocent.

*This* dog had *nothing* - not the more costly chip, nor the inexpensive tag. Nada. Zilch. Zippo. Just a nice collar and a friendly grin.

Suka and Dakota, frankly, are tagged and ID'd near-on to the point of paranioa. Not because I'm paraniod (or AM I..? <.< ), but because I actually *use* every bit of ID that comes my way - Chipped, Rabies Tags, Chip Tags (tells people to check the bloody damn chip. Kinda pointless, but hey, I've got it - may as well use it!), Boomerang tags (nice beefy stainless with a burly ring clip), and county License Tags. Plus Dakota is ear-tattooed.

AND I've got flyers pre-printed with descriptions, photos, and contact info.

If one of my dogs goes missing, I've already got the lever firmly wedged in place, so moving heaven and earth to get her back will be that much faster and easier.

Holly said...

honestly.....most of the places I go with my dogs, a collar would be hazardous for them. They should not wear them into the woods where we go often. They could easily get hung up on the underbrush and if they could not or did not bark, I could not find them.

I, too, have recent pictures and a potential flyer made up for each dog with anything special about each one (but they are on the computer where I can change the picture at will).

MaskedMan said...

My flyers go in the 'dog bag' that contains the water dish, water, spare leads, etc. That way I've always got them with me when I take the girls out - Even when I'm far from my computer. The girls don't change appearance that much over time - When they do, I'll reprint. I don't honestly expect to ever need them, but better to have them on-hand...