Sunday, July 4, 2010

Be kind to your vet. And their staff.

OK, so I'm a bit biased - My sister is a vet. But that's not what caused this thought - "Be kind to your Vet" - to pass through my mind.

I've been updating all my pets' physicals - One at a time, 'cause it's a bit spendy. It can be VERY spendy. I can understand why people might feel a bit put on, especially when you come away with vaccines, blood work, urinalysis, fecal float, hazmat disposal fee, and exam fee taking you maybe over US$300 or more. Sometimes MUCH more. But the Vet has a school loan to pay off. An office to rent or pay for, staff who'd like to eat and maybe get a bit of health care coverage, phones and other utilities to pay, some random insurance fees to pay (actually MANY fees there!), and the HazMat (blood, urine, expired meds, used 'sharps,' stool, and even worse) that has to be disposed LEGALLY and safely... Plus your vet would probably like to eat themselves, and maybe even have a place to sleep...

Trust me - they *know* their services are spendy. And a good vet will do whatever they can to ease the burden, consistent with meeting their responsibilities. But they *do* have to make ends meet. Fail that, and there *is no* vet practice about which people may complain.

But it's not just dealing with clients unsettled by high costs. In the last six weeks or so, I've been in to see the vet four times, and I've seen her, her partners, and their collective staff dealing with people they'd just as soon smack into the middle of next week for all manner of bad or stupid behaviors. Hell, *I* wanted to smack these people!

Beyond that, it's dealling with the treatment room full of a sobbing family as their beloved pet is put to sleep. Dealing with a waiting room full of appointments that are stacking up because there's a sudden string of emergencies to be triaged and dealt with, whilst every treatment room is full up and more crisis are calling in to warn of impending arrival... Puncture wounds, bite wounds, gustatory indiscretions, and cases of "something's wrong but I don't know what." All that and more beyond.

OK, so I'm sitting in the waiting area with an unhappy cat in a carrier, and time is marching on... Or maybe it's a large and worried dog. Or an elderly and begining-to-fail cat. Or maybe an anxious border collie trying to climb into my lap. None of those are emergencies. If I have to leave because my schedule won't accommodate the delay, I *don't* lay into the front desk staff and techs - I make a new appointment. But I've seen people verbally flay the staff for doing their jobs right. The staff takes it with a smile (and mentally gritted teeth, I don't doubt). If I can wait, I don't hector the staff - They *know* I'm there - They can *see* me; They don't need to be reminded of my existance every few seconds. But I've seen that bad behavior, too. All that and more beyond. Stupid people tricks. Performing idiots on parade. Bizarre reactions of many stripes. No doubt, the staff have seen far more, and far worse.

When you finally *do* get in to see the vet, she (or he) doesn't need a laundry list of complaints - They need your attention on the purpose of your visit - Treating your pet. If you really want to vent, save it until you're outside the building. Blazing away at your vet will NOT speed things up - Nor will it make the visit any more pleasant for anyone else. The VAST majority of clients would just as soon be somewhere else, I'm sure. Blowing up will not endear you to anyone. And frankly, that sobbing family in the next treatment room? THEY don't want to hear your foul-mouthed diatribe, either.

So be kind to your vet. And their staff.

They deserve it.

4 comments:

Holly said...

oh...I .....never mind. The thoughts flowing through my head aren't fit for blog comments.

My vet is a good guy. I go to him because he has an expertise I don't. He's the one who went to school for this so I listen to him and since I'm sure he'd like to get out of the office sometime *before* midnight, I try to a)be close to on time and b)stick to the criteria for the visit unless something else has also cropped up between the time I made the appointment and the actual appointment.

and I've told him straight up....he takes good care of my money and I feel he doesn't add any unreasonable costs. He has gone out of his way several times for me. Plus, he listens carefully to me and what *I* am telling him about my pet too.

MaskedMan said...

I expect that most, indeed the vast majority, of vets are 'good guys' - Even the grouchy ones.

I'm curious about those unprintable thoughts now, though. :-p

Holly said...

well if you really want to know.

I am totally impatient with clients that aren't flexible.

completely.

and I would have a very difficult time dealing with them nicely if I worked at the desk in a vet office. Because I work in LE, I don't *have* to be nice to the clients that are so self absorbed, selfish, and such....I can tell them to grow up and deal, which I often do. Or I can let them "hit the wall of indifference" which is almost worse. There is no getting around or over that wall with me and I own the "hold" button on the phone. You can't do that in a vet office.

there are labels and names associated with clients like these and they are .... rude (so I don't post them publicly). But I will tell you they aren't doody head or meany head...they are somewhat more descriptive.

MaskedMan said...

Ah!

Just so.