Monday, October 18, 2010

Puppy lust...

Before anyone freaks out... I am SO NOT getting this puppy.


But I want him so bad my teeth hurt.


Financially-speaking, I have no right to even make a bid for him, but he needs a home... And he's SO my match in temperment and attitude. And he'd add some much-needed male energy to my small pack... If the economy were even a bit better, I'd snap him up so fast, his breeders would think he'd vaporized. :)


So who is this? He's Zeus - A nearly* breed-quality male ISSR Shiloh Shepherd (same breed as Dakota) puppy, 16 weeks and 48 pounds. A bit defiant, but laid-back and confident, and with a medium temperment. Pretty much describes me, yanno? Also my wife... And my daughter... And my son. :p


Can't afford the cost of healthchecks and potential puppy-type disasters, although I could possibly pull together the actual up-front costs. Since I can't afford the care, I can't afford the puppy. :( Would that more people thought this way... Though that would mean a lot more frustrated dog lovers. But fewer hurtin' pups.


Mind you, if someone reading this decided Zeus (or his sister Hera) were their perfect puppy, I'd hardly be offended. ;) Their breeders are trying to do things the right way, but responsible breeding is a good way to lose money, and with only two puppies in this litter, they're hurtin' too - the economy hits responsible breeders FAR harder than it hits puppy mills.

But DAMN, I want this puppy. ;)




*Technically, a "Pet-Upgradeable" puppy - One with faults, but might be upgraded to breeding status, if he shows offsetting strengths as he matures.

3 comments:

Holly said...

Puppy lust...so hard to resist.

Laughing Orca Ranch said...

Self control now.....lol!

I know what you mean about the start-up costs.....that's just the beginning. Just like buying a horse. The purchase price is easy....it's the rest that's expensive!

Stay away from the puppy....
haha!

~Lisa

MaskedMan said...

Heh! Just so, Holly. Just so.


Too true, Lisa! Someone once told me, that if you hate someone, give their daughter a pony.

And, as a point in fact, one of the members of the breed club had their already-beloved 9-week old puppy suffer an intussusception. These deep-chested dogs are more vulnerable to that. Fortunately for her little fiery one, she had a lot of credit to throw down on his treatment (the puppy health insurance has a two week fallow period, and she was four days out from full coverage), and the vet she goes to is *really* good. They managed to resolve the crisis with laparoscopic surgery and heavy antibiotics, and he's back home, being a happy nuisance again.

Still, it cost her enough to buy a decent used car. I couldn't afford that kinda thing... not in this economy. So, no pup. :p


OTOH, Zeus has found a home, at 18 weeks (and nearly 60 pounds!), so he's good to go, and temptation has been removed from my plate. If his sister (Breed quality, they're fairly sure) doesn't find a home, they'll roll her back into the kennel, and she'll add to their breeding program in three or so years.