Wednesday, January 7, 2009

Exiled

It's a once-every-few-years thing for me - A nice, lingering cold deep in my chest, with random attempts at turning into a sinus infection. Like now. Well, I'm aware, and atop things, and know how to treat it, but it takes a while to shake, and in the meanwhile I tend to hack and cough... Well, vigorously. Especially at night. So my wife has exiled me downstairs, that she may get some sleep. Since this puts me either in my recliner or on the couch, it's probably better for me anyway; I can sleep at a slightly upright angle, which lessens the middle-of-the-night choking on phlegm I might otherwise be facing at odd intervals.

I know; "Ewwww, yuck. You poor thing, but what the hell does this have to do with Suka?" Well, I may've mentioned that Suka is a very good dog, yes? She doesn't camp on our bed, not even when invited - She'll climb up for a couple minutes, but gets worried, and jumps down again presently - She's keenly aware that the bed is Not Hers. BUT - The couch, when I'm sleeping on it? That's a NEST!

Suka has taken to climbing up to the back of the sofa, and laying down in the gap where I've re-located a cushion to make myself comfortable. It's a perfect Suka-sized gap, and no sooner than I lay down, than she'll fly over the top of me in a graceful bound, and drop into what has become her favored sleeping spot. At least whilst I'm sick, that is. leaping into place like that often precedes my pulling a blanket up, and Suka often winds up wrapped up with me. So, most mornings, these last two weeks, my wife has come downstairs to find me sacked out, and a furry face peeking out from under the far side of the covers, looking over my ribs.

I really must replace my camera.

10 comments:

The Wades said...

Yes, replace that camera! If I'm going to snoop in on your life, I want to see. :)

Thanks for the comment on my post about the pretend punch to the groin. He really should toughen up, shouldn't he! I think the problem for me was that he was doing so well yesterday. Now, like you said, he will think about things a little more. Look at me being such a great, supportive wife.

Your BC is beautiful.

Kate's Journey said...

Ah, the old leap-into-the-puppy-warmer-position-while-dad-is-sick-and-exiled-to-the-couch trick. Excellent and most useful! Gotta teach my Brandy that one. But for now I'll have to suffice with my kitty's I'm-a-tummy/newspaper-warmer-oh-were-you-reading-THAT-article? trick. :)

MaskedMan said...

Ah, yeah. I do have to do something about images. I've just got to slip it in amongst all the other demands on our wallets. Hmmm. The local 'Big Box' stores are dumping inventory - I'll have to see what I can see.

TW; Y'all'll will figure it out quickly enough. It's hard to downshift so rapidly, but you'll get the hang of it, I've no doubt. This is Max's Grand Opportunity to show what a 'Stiff-Upper-Lip' kind o' guy he is, thus earning many many macho points. ;-) Meanwhile, you can earn just as many 'Ministering Angel' points (later redeemable for unreasonable requests at odd hours, of course!). Have fun with it! ;-)

And yeah, Suka is a lovely little lady, ain't she? There's a substantial prejudice against 'Red Dogs' in the working BC community, but she's not a working dog, and I could care less if she could move sheep. In fact, it's probably better that she doesn't want to - My wife would melt down if I caught the sheepherding bug, along with the dog bug and the target shooting bug and the computer bug and the... Meanwhile my lovely soft-furred white-factored red sable can go right one being as cute as a button, and that's fine with me! :-D

Kate; My cats have that "I'm-a-tummy/newspaper-warmer-oh-were-you-reading-THAT-article? trick" down cold. All three of them, though the choose different zones in which to attack, so I usually only have one of them at a time sitting on my keyboard or novel. Usually. Every now and again, though, they coordinate, and perform a 'feline-wave' attack. Usually with tactical surprise in their favor. So far, they've found Suka to be a buzz-kill, but it's begining to look like that's wearing off, and the morning may soon arrive wherein I awake to find myself pinned beneath three cats and wedged-in by the dog. Hopefully I'll gave a camera by that point...

AKDD said...

Good image. :)

Now aren't you glad I cleaned her teeth before I sent her your way? (Let me tell you, she initialy had breath that would make a carp faint.)

Hope you're feeling better.... I get that chest-cold-that-stays-forever thing, and I really really hate it. Especially when it's #*%& 20 below zero or more...!

MaskedMan said...

AKDD; Thank you for the clean teeth, indeed! She's got some pretty obvious staining, so I can only wonder and cringe at the thought of her breath, teeth uncleaned. As it is, she's got very sweet breath, and I've got no problem at all with her breathing on me.

Truthfully, a bit o' real cold would be quite welcome right now. Shifting from indoors to out in serious cold causes my sinuses to clear nearly instantly.

Sarah HBIC said...

Sweet! Cuddling when sick is the best, especially when they are polite enough to warm your back :~)

MaskedMan said...

Heja, Sarah! I see you found my little hiding spot... ;-)

She's a very polite little snuggle bug; She'll give me a quick ingratiating/subserviant greeting, then snuggle in, and (as best I can tell) not move the rest of the night.

Laughing Orca Ranch said...

Your wife is so thoughtful. I'm like with my hubby that, too :)
Gotta keep that green goo fom choking our men, ya know (as I tuck myself into the cozy, more roomy bed) hehe

Yes, a camera is what you need. What an adorable photo of Suka that would make. I'd loan you mine, but it's upstairs, and I don't know when or if I'll ever be able to get back up there again.

sigh
~Lisa

MaskedMan said...

Tonight, a camera would've gone unused - no one available to use the camera! See next post.

Holly said...

Ooooo, sympathy on the deep, lingering chest cold with coughing. This also only happens to me once every few years now that the kids are no longer in grade school.

Goodgurl Suka! What a sweetheart! Thanks for the jingles for Dashie, he's better today which should reassure me, but actually make me more nervous as that is another classic sign of a partial ACL tear.