Tuesday, January 13, 2009

Ministry of Silly Walks, Canine Division.

The last couple of nights have been pretty frosty, at least for Delaware... Temps in the low 20s or high teens. Suka really comes alive in the cold, especially if there's no frost or ice on the ground. Snow, she loves. Frost and ice weird her out.

Last night, the grass grew hoarfrost again... Still air, clear skies, temperatures plummeting from the already low daytime temps towards something rather cooler than shirtsleeve weather; you could actually see the frost growing. Sweater weather, for me, really - As long as there's no humidity or winds to speak of, a sweater is plenty sufficient for me in mid-teen temps. WAML again, and all that rot, so, it seemed like a good night to go and perch on the old playset and just kind of chill out, in several meanings of the phrase. Suka happily joined me, energetic and playful in the chill air, but the hoarfrost was messing with her mind again. This time, rather than mincing (which really was out of the question - She had too much energy), Suka tried out a Silly Walk: Run two strides; pop her front legs off the ground and run two strides on her back legs only; repeat. I've never seen anything like it - I don't even know to what I should compare it. She wasn't bounding, she wasn't bear-walking, but some crazy hybrid of the two on the two-beat.

It's supposed to be pretty cold the rest of the week... I wonder what else I'll see Suka do before it's done?

5 comments:

Holly said...

oooo, I want to see hoar frost! We have snow. Lots of snow. And it seems we are getting more!

Holly said...

and a question from VOTE blog....

boats?

"entire engineering department of my boats"

what boats? Which boats? Boats where?

MaskedMan said...

Holly, I'll snap a shot of it, as soon as I get my camera replaced... Providing we get any. Murphy being Murphy, you can bet as soon as I've got a camera, the weather'll change. :-p It's very cool looking, though - All feathery and fluffy.

As for engineering departments and boats - When I was a younger man, I operated nuclear reactors for the US Navy. I was a submariner, and in naval jargon, submarines are always 'boats' even though they often displace more than some WW1 cruisers.

The Engineering DEpartment is the department on a naval vessel which sees to, among other things, propulsion, so the reactor, electrical, and mechanical operators were all part of Eng.

AS for which boats, well, the USS Richard B. Russell (SSN 687), and some assistance to the USS Seawolf (SSN 575) and USS Parche (SSN 683). Mind you, I was never crew on those latter two boats, but they were part of the same squadron (SUBDEVGRU ONE, Detatchment Mare Island - Mare Island Naval Shipyard, Vallejo, CA), and we traded or loaned personnel back and forth.

Later, I was attached to the USS Dixon (AS-37), a submarine tender (repair and depot ship), where I maintained and repaired submarines (and the occasional surface ship). Mind you, the Dixon was a ship, not a boat.
:-p

There's a HUGE amount more behind that, but it's about 150 thousand words or so, so not right here, I think.
;-)

Laughing Orca Ranch said...

lol! What a joyful thing to watch. It's a BC dance, don't you know? :D

I love hoar frost. So pretty. We don't get that much up here. Not enough humidity I think.

~Lisa
aka~Rapunzle

MaskedMan said...

Humidity is a necessity for good hoarfrost, yeah.